Re: alignment

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:35:11 -0700 koabi@email.arizona.edu writes:
>ok, why the **** wont places align my car.  I took my car to some
national
>chain car maintenance place to get an alignment and the AC inspected
>(they said my compressor has a leak.
>refused to align my car because it has been lowered.

Part of the problem is you took it to a "national chain" alignment place.
In their world, if they cant set the alignment to a certain spec that the
manufacturer dictates, then they cant garantee the alignment. (Which is
stupid especially when you ask for a specific set of numbers to be put on
the car and tell them your willing to have it done for no warranty. They
still refuse. Lame.)

The car being lowered isn't the reason itself why it cant be done. The
amount that the car is lowered will dictate how much of a factory setting
they can put on the car which again, on a VW is stupid because you can
get the factory numbers. (Which BTW are wide in the range.) On other
cars, the alignment cant be set (Like Honda's which is why you see alot
of aftermarket "camber correction kits" advertized in mags.) so they
simply say nope, cant do it, wouldn't be prudent.

So, for these reasons your stuck to find a shop what is willing to do the
work. Shop around, they exist.

> sorry for rant, im off to find some place that will align it, or i
>guess ill just find some level surface and try it myself if i'm left
with no
>options.
>
>koabi

I shopped around along time and ended up making my own alignment kit.
Then I accidentally discovered that a relative was a big whig manager
white color type who had a good influence with the Repair shop at his
chain of Gas Stations. (Its the Stonecrest Shell station off the I-15 and
Aero drive for those of you interested in a good alignment other than
factory spec shit. (e-mail me for specifics on who to contact ect.) So I
use their computerized rig in the shop to do my alignments now and its
much more accurate than my home brewed version.

If you do find a shop that will do whatever numbers you want, I highly
advise against a shop who does their alignments with the old stick and
paint method. Highly un accurate as I discovered with the Vette. My dad
took it to a local shop like this of his and they pretty much trashed the
handling of the car. Had to go to the shop and fix it the day of the
race. Its good to have a source like that. Especially as much as I change
settings, parts stuff like that. Id be really broke if I paid for every
alignment I had done to my cars.

All you got to do is call around, tell then what you have and if they can
do it. Most places who wont will know where you can have it done. Some
places will give bogus info, like you discovered already. Its just an
alignment, not rocket science.
GL!

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!