Found my problem..

Well, now I know why my car runs so weird. I decided to take a look at the
timing belt and see how well the TDC marks on the crank and cam sprockets
lined up. Heh. They were off 2 or 3 teeth! I've been driving the car like
this for some time.. I can't believe it. I think what is was is that my
plastic timing belt covers were all warped and melted and that must have
altered the position of the timing marks enough to make it off by that
much when the timing belt was changed. I've since replaced the covers with
brand new vw parts and now its very clear that the crank and cam were not
lined up. I really hope there's not any damage.. but if there is I've been
driving around like this for quite some time. It's funny though - I passed
emissions damned near perfectly. 0% CO, 6 ppm HC (limit 220 ppm).

Anyway, I have everything lined up now and I just adjusted the tensioner
and tightened it down so I'm just going to do some more checks (flywheel,
distributor, turn over by hand, etc) and then fire it up and see what it
runs like.

Wish me luck..

-Toby

--
'87 16v "with no low end and plenty of high end pull, thanks to retarded
         cam timing"