mk1 16v conversion (opinions/advise)*long*

hello all

it seems that half the summer has passed and my mk1 is dying for more power.
i have a 1.8 16v, agb and full wiring harness on the garage floor.  the
original motor remains on there for a few more weeks but i will not loose
focus of this project i have started,  the motor is about 90 percent ready to
go in...just a few more hoses and gaskets and she's good to go.

i have toyed with the idea of putting it in all myself because i know how to
wrench pretty well, but then the idea of wiring that damn harness in scares
the piss out of me.  I'm now in the process of pricing somebody to do it for
me.
this mechanic has suggested to me that he will use the stock cis harness and
splice in a knock sensor.  this gets me wondering.....

is wiring it in a easy process?
is this guy an asshole and suggesting something to me that will just be
easier for him and result in my car not running quite right?  is there any
kind of fuel enrichmant available for such a project?
he's looking for about 800 to do the swap with the existing harness...
more if he is to wire in my *perfect* cise harness in its entirety.

i know the price isnt too far off...but i want to have my good old 16v in the
car---i miss it! <sigh>.
also if i am to allow him to do it this way, will the car run as
smoothly(idle) as the 1.7 that's using it presently (gawd it purrs)?

any advise please?

TIA
rob m
81 s