Re: RPI Non-AC conversion (done)

Thanks Brett for the heads up concerning the RPI non-A/C kit. Kind of
surprises me they did not include all the "nickel and dime" parts to allow it
to be fitted straight from the box. You'd figure for what they charge, they
would.

I paid $150 for all the factory pieces, bought used from a VW friend up in
Canada....

In addition to the factory brackets, I used a set of Unorthodox Underdrive
pulleys to get away from that damned dual idler waterpump pulley.

I also had my share of grief with the UU pulleyset.

The anodized finish of the aluminum pulleys is pretty slick until worn in,
making the choice of belt size and tension requirements fairly critical.  For
the water and Power steering pumps, UU recommends using a Gates 7280 belt,
which is too short to fit.

Unfortunately, the next size up- the 7290- is way too long. Running a 7290
overheated my engine in no time, from waterpump slippage at higher rpm..

Luckily, Conti makes the correct size belt, which is a 10x730mm...

In regards to the upper alternator support arm, the factory non-A/C part may
be what you need. IIRC, it is a bit "straighter" than the one used on the AC
models.

I have a spare (used, but good) idler pulley you can have for the price of
postage, Brett.

Take Care,

Danny
81 Caddy 16V (55% Scirocco content)