{OT} ABA into a A1 Cabby, the dirty details

> Yeah, details!  I know the trials and tribulations I went thru...

Hehehe..well, I know mine aren't over yet...there will be clearance issues
with the throttle body to deal with.  But here are some of the problems so
far:

1.  Getting the shift-linkage on the Golf trans...that took some creative
thinking, and scavenging bolts from both the Cabby trans and the Golf
trans...but it works/fits fine!

2.  Next, the wiring diagrams for the A3 cars in the Bently SUCK!  I still
have 3 mystery wires, two are A/C related...easy to figure out...the other
is fuel pump related that could cause an issue (looks like the Cabriolet
fuel pump relay works like normal, tach signal turns it on.  The Golf
relay is turned on by the Motronic via a ground wire it seems.  I wired
the motronic tach signal into the Cabriolet stock system...hopefully it
works, if not going to have to add a secondary relay or a switch for the
fuel pump relay.)

3.  The stock Cabby alternator bracket and upper adjuster arm will not
work.  You must use the 16v bracket and MAKE your own upper adjuster arm
so it clears the fuel rail.  This has been done...pics to follow :-)
Using the 16v bracket forces you to use the 16v alternator.  The stock
cabbie pullies all line up fine, but you must swap the 8v pully onto the
16v alternator.  Additonally, you have to use the Cabrolet upper adjuster
arm bracket mount, but you must cut the nuts off it and mount it on the
outside of the block (timing belt side) instead of the inside (spark plug
side) because the bolts and nuts get in the way of the spark plug and
wire.  You have to cut this bracket a bit, and thin it a bit to fit on the
timing belt side.  If done properly, it looks stock.  Again, pics to
follow.  Just so you know the part I am talking about, it includes the
loop to lift the motor on the passengerside of the head.

4.  The timing cover issue.  This is soved with a dremel and some fitting.
Use the 8v cabby lower cover, but the ABA upper cover.  You must make some
cuts in the upper cover for the motor mount to stick out of, but if done
right, looks stock and fits stock.  This also neccessitates the use of the
cabby metal plate that acts as the timing cover for the block side (you
know, fits under the timing belt, bolts to the water pump and the head).

Those are the major issues I have run into and worked around so far...more
updates and pics to follow!

--
Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic
88 Scirocco 16v (Parts car)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox