I F*KING QUIT! !!!!UPDATE!!!!

Hi guys (and gals!), me again.  Im back from the roadtrip and started
working on the scirocco again, and have had lots of success and some
failure.
I would also like to thank a local lister, Chris D for giving me tons of
support, advice and parts. If it werent for him, Id still be beating my
head against the wall.

Heres what happened:

-Came back, checked cam/crank/distributor timing. Seemed to be off a
couple teeth, so I put it back. Still nothing. Checked fuel, still kind
of crappy but I thought it should have worked.

-Get fuel distributor from Chris, install it. Still nothing. Check
cam/crank/distributor timing again, and its off again... Am I stupid or
did I just do it wrong? I put it back, crank it over and it fires up!!
Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- About 30 seconds later it stalls, never to be started again. It was an
even crank too, Like I had no compression. WTF?

-Check cam/crank/dist timing again, and its off. OK somethings going on
here.  I found 2 problems. First, the lower plastic belt cover
disintegrated and pieces were getting under the belt.. Ewwwww... Take it
all off, realign everything, have a friend crank it and nothing...
However I noticed that while hes cranking, the timing belt isnt moving!!
Hmmmm.  OK, so I take off the accessory belts (What a shitty design) and
take off the crank pulley (BOLT WAS LESS THAN FINGER
TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). It seems the crank pulley was slipping on
the crank!  Not a terrible amount of wear on either the pulley or the
crank so Im sure is salvageable. I did notice something... the crank has
a keyway, but the pulley does not!! Is this true?

Should I put it back together without a key? How do I prevent this from
happening again???

Secondly... in everything stated...what are the chances I bent valves???

Getting closer...Its just a matter of time... :)

Thanks for the help!!!
Bob