RE: Help me with Suspension Setup... my roc has origninal right now.

 For a street car I would probably go with the H&R cup kit.  The cup kit
includes the entire strut assembly, so you don't need a spring compressor to
disassemble the stock strut.  Just bolt 'em on, get an alignment, and go.
Another benefit is you get a shock matched to the spring from the factory.
 I you got some money burning a hole in your pocket you can go with
coilovers.  H&R coilovers seem to be the most popular.  They cost over
$1000.  Ground controls are also popular, but you need to buy a shock to go
with them, so they end up costing as much or more than the H&R's.  Coilovers
are a waste of money unless you have access to corner scales to corner
balance your car.  You can adjust the ride height, but who ever messes
around with the ride height?  Drop it about an inch and leave it.
 For bushings I would get the Prothane bushing kit.  There has been some
debate as to whether poly bushings are better than stock.  One thing for
sure is they are a lot cheaper.  The Prothane kit has about every bushing
you'll ever need for your car for about $60.  Some of the tuner bushings are
just repackaged/marked-up Prothane stuff.  Derlin (sp?) bushings are better,
but they cost *alot* more.
  You should get all the available stress bars for your car (front-lower,
front-upper, and rear).  The stock lower front one for the Scirocco 16V is
as good as most of the aftermarket ones.  If you're lucky you can find one
at a junk yard for cheap.  In fact alot of the aftermarket ones are blatant
copies of the Scirocco 16v bar (ABD, Techtonics, etc).  Autotech makes some
mean looking aluminum bars.  The aluminum probably isn't worthwhile because
the steel ones sold by other companies are very light.  I think the neuspeed
rear stress bar that takes up most of your truck is kind of silly.  Why not
just go all the way and get a roll cage?
  I'm still looking into swaybars for my car so I can't help you there.  I
suggest sticking with the stock ones if you got them, then buying some
bigger ones if you're getting too much body roll.  There has been *alot* of
debate on the topic of swaybars.
  Another good mod is to move your battery to the back of your car.  This
isn't a suspension mod, but it moves 40lbs from the front of your car the
rear making a significant difference in handling (less understeer/more
oversteer).
  If you plan on racing/autocrossing you'll want to go with stiffer springs,
shocks, and swaybars than for a purely street driven car.  My car is street
driven and I also go to every autocross I can.  I run Neuspeed race with
koni shocks, eurosport rear stress bar, and techtonics lower front bar.  If
I had to do things over I would have gone stiffer than the Neuspeed race
springs.  I don't have a front sway bar installed yet, and my rear bar is
out of a scirocco 16V.  Going bigger on the swaybars would probably help out
alot.

-Shawn
'81 Scirocco S

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 19:04:17 -0700, Tyler Pease wrote:

>  I read my post again and realized it sound like I was just asking about
>  springs.  Nope I want ideas on a full suspension setup.  Thanks :o)

Didn't