fuel pump issues persist

ok, i took out the fuse that kept blowing (fuse 5) and connected the fuel
pump directly to the battery.  When connected you could hear the pump hum,
which is better than what i got before (ie nothing aside fuse eating).
i cant get the car to fire still.  Fuel seems to get to the distributer,
there is spark.  I pulled an injector to see if it sprayed, but i didnt
see anything (this may be normal, but im definitely not sure). Should the
injector do anything while i'm trying to start the car?  i'd assume it would
have to do SOMETHING...  Is there something else hooked up to fuse#5 aside
the fuel pump that is essential to getting this thing running.  My Hayes
manual doesnt say much..no surprise there...the bible (bentley) should be
in my hands soon.