Re: foam in the rockers...

--- Vee Dubb <Scirious@hotmail.com> wrote:
> One mechanic I was chatting with mentioned that he
> had seen this done to a
> couple of cars.  The foam trapped water in the
> rockers and the whole panel
> rusted out to the point that he couldn't figure out
> how to get the car on a
> jack.  So make sure your rockers are rust proof
> before they are stiffened.
> About 4 cans of urethane foam from Home Depot might
> be enough to do it.
> Don't use the latex foam stuff - it's crap.  There
> are two part pourable
> foams out there, but I don't know where to get them
> off hand.

I have to wonder if this applies to the Scirocco
chassis. The rockers are not open to the exterior of
the car, so by definition, any water that gets into
the rocker will have to evaporate or rust it's way
through. You can see a little of the rocker from the
interior if you pull the side panels off next to the
rear seat. So it's not sealed anyway (from the
interior).

One of the keys to preserving these cars is to keep
water from getting in the interior. Most rocker panel
rust is probably initiated by windshield (and other
window seal) leaks, clogged A/C drain pipes (passenger
side), and compromised rain tray seals.

I can't see how reaching the rocker panel from the
interior will increase the chances for rust - unless
there's water getting into the interior. One of our
Sciroccos has rust in the passenger side rocker for
one of the reasons mentioned above. I cannot
physically get to it. I am considering pumping some
sort of oil into there to arrest the rust that's in
there. At this point I'm very much in the thought
phase, as I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to
address this . . .

=====
Mark Peele
1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)