Re: Fuel Pump Q

Is the fuel pump running? You should be able to hear it buzzing audibly,
if it's a normal fuel pump : ) Some are louder than others (Mine is
disturbingly loud, but it's also dying... again...)
Check for fuel and spark is always the rule.
Check for fuel by jumping the fuel pump relay - pull it and jump terminals
30 and 87 on the fuse block, and the pump should run. If it doesn't, you
have bigger problems. Then go under the hood, pull an injector (be careful
not to break the line! I have been able to do this by clamping a pair of
vice grips on the "nut" part of the injector and then prying against the
valve cover. This can break your inserts, but if they break when you do
this, you need new ones anyway. They're $1.20 each at the dealer - those
little bakelite thingies that the injectors go into at the back of the
head), pull the rubber boot off the top of the fuel distributor, make sure
the injector is pointed somewhere safe, and pull up on the 13mm nut in the
middle of the plate under that boot. The injector should spray, relatively
evenly and vaguely cone-shaped. Someday I'm going to get new injectors so
that I can actually see a cone-shaped spray pattern. I still have yet to
see one. Now you know if you have fuel.
Next, check for spark. Put the injector back and make sure there's no gas
around. Pull your wire out of the fuse block and leave the relay out as
well for now. Pull a spark plug, hook the wire back up to it, ground the
spark plug on something (head, alternator...) and have somebody crank it
over for you. You should be able to see spark at the plug.
At this point, you at least know where to look....
	-Josiah

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 koabi@email.arizona.edu wrote:

> ok, im trying to get my 87 scirocco running.  It cranks, but it doesnt fire.
>  The fuel pump has some short somewhere; it eats fuses (30A ones, even though
> i think it only uses 10A).  Any area that i should look at that is a usual
> problem area?  thanks for any info.
>
> koabi

'87 5KCSTQW
'84 GTi