Re: Obviously I'm screwed, but...

Believe it or not, I have actually, in this exact situation, taken the
caliper off the car, drilled the hole out deeper, rethreaded it, and put a
bleeder nipple back in. I got my bleeder nipple from a frozen caliper that
I happened to have lying around, but you could buy them at your local NAPA
or equivalent, I would guess. I found that there was a lot more metal
behind where the screw went in to drill into, and I also found that the
angle that a standard drillbit creates at the end of the hole was correct.
I'm still using this caliper on my Rabbit to this day (this was two years
ago). However, you may perhaps have a different experience, as drilling
straight in such situations is touch-and-go, if you're doing it by eye and
hand like I was. Shearing off those bleeder valves is easy. Luckily the
calipers aren't too expensive, and if you're me, you have tons of them
lying around, since they're the same as Golfs, Jettas, Rabbits, other
Sciroccos, pickups, etc... but it looks like from the year that yours
might be a 16v, in which case that isn't so true.
	-Josiah

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Diamond Dave wrote:

> In the process of bleeding my brakes on the Scirocco, I have just sheared
> off one of the bleeder valves. Luckily it happened before the valve opened.
> I used some liquid wrench on all the valves to loosen things up before the
> job.
>
> So, is there any positive perspective on this? Upgrade the calipers, powder
> coating etc..
>
> Will the cost of fixing this be roughly the same as getting a replacement
> caliper?
>
> Any input would be appreciated. Please reply to: dbarwick@sprynet.com
>
> David Barwick
> 88 Scirocco http://scirocco16v.com/profiles/david_b.htm