Re: 4K tranny - .75 or .80 5th??

In a message dated 1/29/01 7:28:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, roog@telus.net
writes:

I've only heard of one instance of a blown transmission in 5th gear, and it
was a 16v G60 making around 230hp.  The owner was driving along on the
highway, letting the revs drop to 2k or so and then going to full throttle
to see how fast the car was in top gear.  On the 3rd run, the transmission
absolutely FRAGGED.  This was a 2Y with the bolt kit on the diff, BTW.  I
think we're probably ok with our 175hp motors.. :)

Mainly I have heard of this happening when towing and stuff... I have a late
FF gearbox (.71 5th gear) and routinely run it up to 10+ psi on the
freeway...no ill effects so far.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel - trust me, a replacement is on the way!
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - future DCI drag car
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)