Re: [tech] Rev Limiters

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:53:54 -0800 "Sal Guzzo" <pellom@yorku.ca> writes:
> Guys and gals,
>
> Is there a rev limiter present on a 84 Scirocco?  I think that I hit
> it
> today when driving.  The motor seemed like it shut down at about
> 6400 rpm.
> My 84 Rabbit doesn't do that and I know that my 81 rocco never did
> that.
> I'm not sure if the 81 has the rev limiter as I dropped a 16V motor
> into it.
>
> Sal

I don't think any CIS car has a rev limiter, but CIS-E cars do...

It could be a bad fuel pump relay...

My '84 Scirocco would cut-off at 5500 rpm when I first bought it, and
with a jumper installed, it pulled all the way to 6800 rpm.
I replaced the relay, and that took care of the problem.

Don't throw the old relay out if it is bad, it can be turned into a
fool-proof fuel pump relay jumper.
Open it up and remove the IC, and solder the power pins together, and
write test on the bottom of the empty relay.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84 Scirocco, RD/FF