Re: 4K tranny - .75 or .80 5th??

At 11:56 AM -0500 1/23/01, Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:
>to cause helical cut mesh gears to break off?  Seemed an unlikely enough
>occurance to me, I'm not worried about it, especially because it's 5th...not
>one of the gears I'm likely to _really_ bang around anyway.  I'll be the first
>to report it if I blow out my 5th gear though! :)
>
>==Brett

I've only heard of one instance of a blown transmission in 5th gear, and it
was a 16v G60 making around 230hp.  The owner was driving along on the
highway, letting the revs drop to 2k or so and then going to full throttle
to see how fast the car was in top gear.  On the 3rd run, the transmission
absolutely FRAGGED.  This was a 2Y with the bolt kit on the diff, BTW.  I
think we're probably ok with our 175hp motors.. :)