Re: Why do you own a Scirocco?

Ok, well everyone else has said their peace, I might has well.

When I turned 16 the keys to my Fathers 1978 Rabbit L were put in my
hands.  This car had been bought new by my father and babied it's entire
life.  The thing had 110k on it and ran and drove like it was brand new.
I loved it (4 doors, sunroof, this thing rocked, German built, 1.5 FI
4speed).  Well, 30k later it started to show the massive abuse I dealt it.
Thats when the old as dirt Clymer was put in my hand.  It was a repair
book my Father bought when the car was new.  Guess what was on the cover?
A Mk1 Scirocco going around a corner.  I had never seen one before, and I
thought it was the coolest.  Well, the 1.5 got tired on the Rabbit, and I
really had no knowledge of the ease of an engine swap at the time.  So I
got a Jetta GLI.  That thing was too expensive to insure at the time.  So
I happened apon a ugly, rusty as hell, dented up 79 Rocco.  It was love at
first drive.  It was wicked fast compared to anything I had driven and I
loved it.  Then came the list, and Shawn Meze and others (Iain Mannix and
Kevin Wenzel) schooled me on the mechanics, the rest is history.  Now 4
Mk1s later and one Mk2.  I love these cars for the looks, the fun behind
the wheel and the comraderie I find here on the list.

I will always have one rocco in the stable, but since I love Mk1s so much,
they will be my summer car only, no matter how much I want to drive it
everyday, I just couldn't bear driving them in the winter any more.  That
is what the new Golf is for, I don't care about it.

The last reason is, I met my current, most wonderful girlfriend by buying
her 81 S from her.  Who could think of a better reason for two people to
come together? :-)

Eric

80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
97 Golf Trek (Parts car)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox