Re: [tech] which head?

>Which head would be better to use with a 2L 8v block for my rocco
>this summer?  Anyone know where I can get a 2L block (or whole
>motor) in ontario?
>
>I could use the 1.8L JH head that's in there now, or the GLi head
>which is an RD motor.....or is there a difference?  I know the RD is
>higher compression motor, but are the heads the same or different?
>RD is solid lifter right?

 From what I understand, the two heads are the same when it comes to
valves and combustion chamber.  The increased compression for the RD
motor comes from different pistons.  In theory, you could practically
'make' an RD motor by putting RD style pistons in a JH...although with
the increased compression comes a need for a knock sensor.  Switching
pistons and installing the KS system from a later model car is
a mod I don't hear about people with JH's doing often enough really. If
I was tuning a JH, I'd do it.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net