Re: Run for the border!

>>I'm not saying I'm interested in buing it, but what would it take for a Yank
>>to bring that car home? Would it be difficult to get across the border? Just
>>curious, mostly.
>>
>>Neal

>I guess it depends on where you live.  If you live in a little hick state
>like Maine you can just drive it home and register like it's an american
>car.  If something comes up from the DMV you just say you bought it
>instate, say they're crazy for not knowing that and then you are on your way.

Maybe, if you could get it across the border.  This comes up on the Vanagon list frequently (since the single and double cab vanagons were sold in Canada but not the US)

The official procedure goes something like this.

1) Get a letter from VW stating that the car you are trying to import meets US safety and emissions requirements for the US. (all the Vanagons basically do, I don't know about the Scriocco)  The letter may state that the speedometer has to be changed to MPH and the brake warning light changed out for a US one. (Wow, our government protects us from Canadian brake warning lights!!)

2) Make any required mods to the car.

3) Drive to the border and pay the import duty.

4) The paperwork from all this (+ the Canadian title) should be enough to register the car with your state DMV

If VW won't give you the letter (they will if the car actually meets US standards), you don't have many options.

1) Wait for the car to be more than 25 years old (then, all it needs is US lights!)

2) Be creative. Note: I hear switching VIN numbers is now a FEDERAL crime.

Bill