[Tech] Repair, don't replace! (Re: I need wiper linkage)

If you have an assembly that isn't performing up to snuff, the following
info may help.

(Just an FYI - you can use the motor from any 85-92 Golf or Jetta -
doesn't have to be a Scirocco.  However, the linkage (or most of it) is
different.)

The pivots can be disassembled and cleaned and greased - it makes a world
of difference in their performance.

With the wiper assembly removed from the car (the hardest part!) remove
the operating rod from the pivot.

Remove the small c-clip from its groove on the pivot shaft.  There will be
one samll spring washer and a larger flat washer underneath this clip. You
should then be able to push the shaft out of the casing (it may be
difficult - the spary-on lubricant of your choice will make it go easier.)
Once the shaft is out, thoroughly clean both the shaft and the housing (I
use brake parts cleaner - produces good results fast.)  There may be
another small spring washer at the bottom of the shaft - be careful not to
lose it.  The shaft is chromed, and you may see that bits of chrome have
been worn off here and there.  This isn't a problem, provided it's well
greased on reassmbly.  If 90percent of the chrome is gone, you may want to
think about replacement.

Reassemble the shaft in the housing with a liberal coating of lithium
grease or another grease that will remain stable within the temp range
your car sees.  Install the washers - flat washer first, then spring
wahser.  Then insert the c-clip in its groove on the shaft.  It will be
necessary to apply pressure on the bottom of the pivot to force the groove
up past the washers so you can insert the clip.

Rotate the shaft several times - it should move freely and easily, but not
wobble.  If there is excessive play, or it is too stiff, you can replace
the pivots, which entails drilling out the rivets that retain them to the
wiper frame.  Alternatively, you can look for a salvage frame that has
good pivots on it.

Clean and grease the socket on the operating rod, then reinstall it.
Repeat the procedure for the other side.

You should also clean and grease the joint on the motor's crank arm as
well. By removing on one end of each operating shaft at a time, you're
sure not to get anything mixed up.

While you're at it, clean the contacts on the wiper motor's connector with
electrical contact cleaner.  Look for signs of corrosion or frayed wires
that may be causing poor wiper performance.  Grease the connectors lightly
with di-electric grease.  If your wiper motor has tape around the access
holes for the brushes, remove the tape and spray the brush holders and
commutator with contact cleaner, then let dry thorughly (or use canned
air, not compressed air as it has moisture in it!).  Tape up the motor
again with friction or electrical tape to keep moisture out.

This procedure has restored S-L-O-W wipers to like new speeds on almost
all of my A1 cars (except in one case, where the motor was worn beyond
usefullness.)

Drew (84 Wolfsburg ed.)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, humpnyomom wrote:

> I need a good condition working wiper linkage and motor for my '86 Scirocco
> 16v. If anyone is selling this, please email me off list. TIA!!
>
> Justin
> '86 Scirocco 16v 2.0L

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca