My MFA is screwed

The MFA on my '87 16v seems to be wacko. The travel time and temperature
readings work but the miles,MPG and avg mph readings do not apper. I took
the whole thing appart and after assambley the miles related readings worked
for 5 seconds then stopped working again. I did theis process several times
but after 5 seconds or less time reading it will stop to function. Is the
yellow thing attached to the speedometer on the back of the cluster damaged?
I installed the wiring for the MFA  from an '88 jetta 16v (no cable cutting
or splicing was made in the process of removal or installation, I hate
splicing cables in my rocco). The vacum line for the cluster also has been
tested and works properly. Please advise on this since I want to know whats
my MPG reading on the highway (I swapped in a 4K tranny). The other question
I have is if anyone out there can get me the part number for the adapter
that goes on the steering shaft of the corrado on wich the steering wheel
ataches to. This adapter makes it possible to atach the corrado stearing
wheel to any other small shafted VW. I have this adapter and a corrado
lether steering wheel in my rocco but want the part number for a friend who
is going to do the same on his rabbit. Any info on any of this two issues
would be apreciated :)

Gabriel

'87 rocco 16v (stock...for now)