Drivetrain Question

A couple of times in the past two weeks I experienced a thumping feeling in the
steering on my 16v. It never lasted long, just a few blocks at most before it
went away. Typically this would only happen when making right hand turns. It was
a quite obvious feel in the steering and a quiet sound I could hear, repetitive
thumping.

Yesterday morning on my way to work I experienced this same thumping feeling
three blocks from work when bearing right at a Y intersection. Once block later
I lost all power and had to roll the rest of the way to work.

I can press the clutch in like normal, I can shift into all gears like normal,
but it does not go anywhere at all. It does make a noise when in gear and the
throttle is in that it does not make when in neutral. Unfortunately I can't
describe the sound because it is faint and I am in the drivers seat when I hear
this. Also, I can't tell where it is coming from.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Due to stupid apartment complex regulations and
the cold weather I can't even attempt to find out what is wrong, let alone try
and fix it. It's currently at my local mechanic at the end of a very long line
to be fixed. Luckily I have the GTI to drive in the meantime.

-Marc

'74 VW Thing in near daily driver condition but unfortunately sitting
    in storage see it at http://getty.net/thing/ probably for sale too
'81 VW Jetta Diesel Scraped 10/96   -   '84 VW Jetta GLi Sold in 10/99
'84 VW GTI, got it on 11/15/00, Black with Orange Stripes and maroon
    interior. Runs like a Champ, handles quite well too, it's new!
'87 VW Smoking Scirocco, Tornado Red 16V @ 194,000 miles. In Philly PA
    since 7/2/99 - Before and after pics: http://getty.net/scirocco/