Re: 4K tranny - .75 or .80 5th?? (Experiences with .71)

I had a 4K with a .71 in my 78 running a JH with "G" grind cam, Euro
manifold, Euro non-cat manifold, Leistritz exhaust, Neuspeed Throttle body
when I bought it in July. It has a bolt kit and some sort of an LSD (Possibly
Quaiffe) and was rebuilt by ND in 91. I punched a hole in it some how. The
car was fine until one night I was about 30 miles away and oil all over the
ground. So I put in a 2Y from my 16V parts car and upgraded the whole front
suspension to the 16V with 100MM hubs. The 4K is a great tranny but the .71
5th is a bit of a drop between 4th and 5th. Great for freeways. I was
regulary doing 80 at 3200 RPMsbut at 55 it sucks because you are at 2000RPMs
and 4th is about 3200RPMs. I eventually will rebuild the 4K when I get the
time and possibly convert to a 6 speed. When swapping in the 4K to a 16V you
can use the 16V pressure plate and flywheel but have to use a 8V disc because
of the spline sizes. The 2Y is a nice tranny and the .71 5th is probably
about right for that tranny. I personally would recommend the 4K since it
does seem to increase torque when compared to my 2Y.
HTH
Masun Dixon
78 Scirocco (Soon to be 16V)
88 Scirocco 16V (Parts Donor)