Re: how is this setup

In a message dated 1/19/01 10:18:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
s_t_rader@excite.com writes:

I'd like to thank everyone that gave me some input on my proposed car setup.
The info was very helpful.  Here are some of my thoughts, and answers to
some of the question people asked me about my setup:

regarding tires...
 I'll probably start autocrossing as soon as I get the stress bars in. I
plan to start out with the stock tire sizes (gasp).  I know, i know, but I
figure I won't be driving good enough for at least a few meets to really
take advantage of autocross tires.  I want to try it out before I go
spending $1000's of dollars only to find that autocrossing isn't my thing.
Ian suggested the BFG R1 over the Hoosier for starting out so that's
probably what I'll go for.  I'm supprised to hear people are running 13x9
wheels on Sciroccos.  I would think that would create serious rubbing/offset
issues.  Per Schroeder suggests Keizer and Duralight wheels in his book-
those were the wheels I was planning to purchase.  Anyone had any experience
with these, or have suggestions for other wheels?

regarding suspension...
 Nobody commented on my plan to put race springs on my daily driver - you
must all think I'm nuts.  Part of my motivation for doing this was cost:
race springs cost about the same as sport springs and I wouldn't need
aftermarket swaybars.  No to mention I would probably save 20 to 30 pounds
of weight with the ommission of the front bar.  If the ride is too harsh
I'll just switch back to the stock springs.  I don't plan on using this car
as a daily driver for much longer anyway.  It is far to precious to be
subjected to Portland rush hour traffic.
BTW, does H&R make an A1 race spring?

I don't think you're nuts. I would do that. In my opinion, I would much
rather have harsh spring rates than a sloppy suspension and problems with the
suspension bottoming because of "comfort springs". I have an old set of
neuspeed (H&R) "sport springs" on one car and I think they're lacking in the
"sport" department. That "WHAM!" sound can be heard all too often. With the
higher spring rates, it doesn't ride all that much worse, but the overall
road holding abilities of the car are greatly increased along with a severe
reduction in the number of times the suspension bottoms out.

engine/trans...
 Ok, no TT head.  I wasn't exactly looking forward to spending $650 on it.
So what is the going rate for a 1.8L JH block+head? A company here in
Portland (Strictly German Autowerks
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/9008/water.html) sells rebuilt blocks for
$400 to $900 depending on how extravagant the build is.   I need to check
out EM Sport and Techtonics for prices too.  Where's the best place to buy a
remanufactured or low mileage engine?
 Several people have suggested a Quaife.  Right now I have a hard time
justifying spending more money on a differential than I paid for the car.
As my financial situation improves my opinion may change.  I don't plan on
changing the engine/trans for at least another 6 months anyway.

brakes...
 I want to do something to improve the brakes.  Right now I consider them
woefully inadequate for street use, probably worthless for autocrossing.
I'll probably get the Ferodo pads and change the fluid first.  I'm not to
concerned about brake dust; I'm fairly religious about washing my car, and
the wheels aren't in the best of shape anyway.

thanks again,

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel - trust me, a replacement is on the way!
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - future DCI drag car
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)