Re: Engine Start Button

>From: Peter Walsh <pjwst17+@pitt.edu>

>Hey Guys,
>
>You know how the S2000 has a red Engine Start button? Well, would we  be
>able to do that to our cars?  I was thinking about it (for a while now) and
>this is what I came up with.  Basically, you would use and Arcade Machine
>button, rougly about $2 (red?) and run it to the starter. As long as the
>key is in the on position, the car would be able to start.

The simple way, as already suggested is to have the button power circuit 50
(power to the solenoid of the starter). Make sure that the other terminal of
the button is hooked up to circuit 15 (switched +12), not 30 (constant +12).

To complicate things, keep in mind that the when the key is turned to the
start position, circuit X (load reduction relay) is *not* getting power.
This circuit powers the wipers, headlights, heater fan, defroster, radio,
etc. When starting the car on a cold morning, you want all the power to go
to the starter. With some fancy wiring using relays you could do it, get a
relay that _breaks_ the connection when the coil is energized. Use this in
series with the wire powering circuit X (its one of the ones from the
ignition switch) and have power accross 85 and 86 when the "Start" button is
pressed (tap power in parallel to starter, not in series). This way when the
ignition is "on" you get power to 15 and X, and when you press the button,
it puts power to 50 and breaks X, just like factory.

Or you could just manually turn off all electrical consumers before you
start.

And make sure you get a very high quality button, I would relay everything
to minimize the current flow through the button. Maybe run down to the
nearest Honda dealership and pick one up. That would be fun. Make sure you
tell them what you are using it for. :-)

HTH,

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8