Re: ND '01 - more info

Quoting Kevin Collins <kcollins1@socal.rr.com>:

> In a related development, there's a big flap going on at VWVortex over
> us
> taking the "most represented" award last year - one dude is complaining
> that we aren't a "real club" and therefore should be exempt from
> eligibility
> for such an award, some other nimrod is crying that we had a bunch of
> pre-registered no-shows that got counted and resulted in an unfair
> outcome.
> Total BS!  It all makes for somewhat comical reading, check it out and
> toss in your 2c here..
>
> http://forums.vwvortex.com/vwbb/Forum31/HTML/001512.html

My response:
 [QUOTE][b]I think here nobody is really trying to deny the amount of cars you
guys brought, that is truly awesome and something to be proud of, its just that
the participation award is a big thing to show which group is the strongest and
can represent the most QUALITY cars. [/b][/QUOTE]

WOAH!  You are quite off-base here.  Where did it say that?

 [QUOTE][b]I think the issue here is you guys aren't a regular club or group. You
have a couple big gatherings every year and toss back emails every day. I know
Renner has an email list that sees LOTS of traffic every day, but in addition we
all know each other by sight. We chill at each others houses for no reason or go
over to help work on someone's car.[/b][QUOTE]

You are also quite mistaken here.  That happens all the time.  There's 3 other
list members in the same town as I am, and we've swapped help on each others cars
countless times.  Not to mention the tech procedure weekends we've all had where
whoever can comes to help do things....like when I had people from Ohio,
Montreal, and New York help me put my engine in?

[QUOTE][b] Scirocco.org isn't a real tight nit group, and it just sort of seemed
like you all came together just for this one purpose, to show as many cars as you
possibly could. [/b][/QUOTE]

Oh, this is TOTALLY off base.  I live in upstate NY.  For the ND show, I drove
from there to Ohio to meet up with another list member, then flew out to Southern
CA to stay with Kevin at his invitiation, then drove up the coast to Santa Clara
with 6 other list members.  Got to see some people I hadn't seen in a couple of
years when they had driven out for Waterfest.  I reciprocated when some southern
CA listers flew to NY and drove down to Waterfest 2000 with us.  THAT'S NOT
CLOSE-KNIT?!?

 [QUOTE][b]It also bothers me that you take responsibily for bringing all of
these Scirocco's, [/b][/QUOTE]

In my opinion, Kevin *IS* absolutely responsible, single-handedly, for talking up
the ND show on the Scirocco list (and emphasizing its charity nature), and
getting the turn-out we did!  Look, I took VACATION to go cross-country to a car
show -- and did not regret one second of it.

I also managed to get a picture of almost everyone from the list and their car.
I have 28 pictures, and I know I missed a couple, so that's something like 85% of
the total.

And I know some of the Sciroccos that showed up whos drivers weren't on the list,
JOINED after that.

I think you need to be less concerned over "what makes a club" and take it as a
challenge to your OWN organization.  You've got it easy; you're all local.  We've
got to pull people from CA, Washington, Vancouver BC, Ohio, Georgia, Ontario
Canada, New York...