Re: Relay Question

BFDEIHL@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/16/01 6:45:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> brianm@zbt62.eastnet.gatech.edu writes:
>
> << As a token EE on this list I have to pipe up here.
>  Relaying the lights off the battery is fine. Hooking it up to the battery
>  terminal or directly to the alternator is exactly the same thing (unless
>  you have a bad wire). >>
>
>  Battery connections usually will corrode due to gasses escaping through the
> seals around the battery post. Hooking up to the alternator post sidesteps
> this issue.
>
> For that reason, I would prefer to connect to the alternator...

As we traipse down the anal path of correctness (making up sayings as I
go), we should keep in mind these two things:

1. You should coat your electrical contacts to aid in corrosion /
oxidation prevention &

2. The alt is producing electricity when the car is on, you should
access this power from the battery to aid in buffering the spikes and
jolts from the load.

<ahem>

Tosha is asleep right now, I'm his alter ego.