Re: I am an idiot. Please help me.(CV job)

FWIW, the method I use to keep track of the balls is as follows:
Clean off the ball cage enough to put a mark by one of the holes with one of
those indelible paint markers.  Call that ball position #1, and assume that
2,3,4, etc advance clockwise around the ball cage.  Now, get 6  clean, used
yogurt or other containers and mark them 1,2,3, etc.  As the balls come out, toss
them into the appropriate container.

It is still a challenge to get them installed back in the right position,
especially when one or more fall out during reassembly.  good luck.