Re: Timing/Distributer questions

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:08:07 -0500 "S.Coleman" <deadbolt@mindspring.com>
writes:
> Removed distributor,...installed new points and  reinstalled
> distributor in motor.  Put distributor cap on to see where the rotor
> would be pointing....it was at about 3-4 O'clock and seemed "dead-on"
one
> of the plug holes on the cap.  Made that my #1 plug and installed
remainder
> of plug wires in clockwise order of 1-3-4-2.  Tried to start car.  Very
slow
> flash coming from timing light.   Like.....flash, one second,
flash......etc.
> Moved distributor back and forth and this never got better,...in
> fact at times there was no spark at all according to timing light.   If

> someone has an idea,...or maybe just some time to explain how this
> distributor/firing thing happens ,...that may help.  I seemed to be too
stupid to
> understand the Bentley or past recommendations....
> Thanks again you guys....(and gals),
> Chris

Keep in mind that the crank revolves twice for every distributor
rotation.

This is why it was 1/2 off on one cycle ..

Moving the wires around is not the proper way to fix this...

If you can't adjust the distributor so that the rotor points no.1, the
distributor is probably a 180 + or - degrees out.
There should be enough room for adjustment of the distributor, when the
engine is at it's proper cycle...
Otherwise you'll have to try again with the distributor install...

Rotate the engine a full revolution, making sure that the crank and
intermediate shaft and cam is lined up again,
and then check where the rotor is pointing to, on the distributor.
If rotor is close to the no.1 notch, then just adjust the distributor so
that it lines up with it.

As a last resort, you can remove and install the distributor at no.1,
with the engine at TDC.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"