Re: [Tech] Bad news...I Think...

In a message dated 1/11/01 7:36:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jason87vw@nac.net writes:

Well with almost 850 miles on my 2.0 I've have a potentially fatal problem.
I am going through approx. 1 quart of oil a week. I am leaking oil out of my
oil cap. Also, the back off the engine somehwhere, I am trying to trace the
leak...When I punch it and the RPM's go up to around 4500, white smoke blows
out the tail pipe. Also, there's a black oily subtance on my rear bumper by
the tail pipe. I am burning oil I think and I have a bad ring...That's just
my luck...I will do a compression test Saturday...I haven't beat on the
enginge, 'cause I'm still being cautious with the break in period...What do
you think ?

If you're leaking something in the back in addition to burning it, I would
lean toward the head gasket.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - uh.....
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)