Re: 16v transplant into MK1...

Chris,
I am in the process of doing this on my 78. I bought a whole 88 16V. If you
are going to use your tranny you have to use your clutch disc but can retain
the 16V pressure plate and flywheel. I would upgrade the clutch disc to a
210MM instead of a 190MM if you are using the stock 4-spd or look for a 5-spd
at the junkyard or I am sure somebody has an extra tranny they would sell.
The main reason they do the brakes is for better stopping power. The fronts
can be done using the stock MC and booster. I have already done this as of
last week and notice a big difference in stopping power. When changing to the
rears, It is recommended to change to the MC, booster and pedals for the
proper brake balance.
I have been looking over the wiring diagram and it does look like you only
need the engine controls. I am going to be using the whole harness since I am
swapping out the dash and cluster.
HTH. If anything is wrong or missing I am sure somebody will correct me
(Please)
Masun Dixon
78 Scirocco (Soon to be 16V)
88 Scirocco 16V (Parts Donor)