RE: Coolant Loss - and my weekend projects

>What brand were they, and can you describe the mod?

They were the ones the guy at O'reilly's Autoparts handed to me. :)

Honestly I can't rememer the part number... (Brand: OSLAM Part#16375??
maybe) A quick glance and they looked exactly right - small clear bulb in a
black plastic housing.  But, when I got home I noticed the problem lie in
the way these were supposed to twist into the cluster.  The ones that I
pulled out had plastic tabs on all 4 sides, slightly offset.  The ones I
bought however, had 2 plastic tabs on the body of the light and 2 metal tabs
next to the bulb.  I had to pull the plastic body off of the new ones and
the old ones and put the new bulb in the old plastic body. Not too
difficult, but the little metal barbs that hold the bulb in the plastic were
a little tricky.

After putting the new bulbs in the old plastic bodies, the metal tabs were
now in the way of inserting into the cluster. With a pair of needle nosed
pliers, I bent the tabs up and out of the way...Shoulda cut em off but I was
running out of daylight. After that it was straight forward, slip the bulb
into the cluster and then twist 90 degrees.

Next comes replacing the heater/AC controls... woof!  Any suggestions on how
to get the controls switched out?  I have a set of replacement controls but
they won't just slide into the spce from the front.

Derek Tarvin - Finally doing some of my own repairs!
1987 16v Scirocco