Re: [non] lupo info wanted

Foxx....I have been doing some serious checking into this, and emailing
Registered Importers and reading the Import laws.  The Lupo is not
currently qualified by the US to be imported.  Which means a RI would have
to petition the government, and the car would have to be seriously
modified (read re-designed bumpers, new headlights, all new emissions
equipment).  It really isn't feasible unless you wanted to spend $30,000
on a $16,000 car.  Plus, there are CRAZY deposits the government would
require (read around 80% of the cars value, untill it is modified and
approved).

But, there IS a ray of hope.  The govt has a new "Show and Display" import
law.....this would be the only way to get a Lupo here economically.
Bummer is, mileage is limited to 2500 miles a YEAR.  Suck-o big-o.  If you
want the link to all the Govt import info let me know, I can forward you
the stuff tonight.

Wanna know something cool though?  1986 Sciroccos and Golf Rallys (g60 AWD
baby) are already qualified for legal import! Just gotta change the
bumpers and headlights with US ones....now, a Golf Rally would certainly
be a cool alternative to a Lupo....

Eric

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Foxx (in a box) wrote:

>   this is geared more towards those in europe that might be able to help
> me. i'm seriously looking into importing a lupo to the states, however,
> as information's not readily available bere, brochures are a little more
> than difficult to come by. i was just wondering if someone might be kind
> enough to get me some information packets on the lupo (and polo as
> well?). i'd prefer them to be in english, however i should be able to
> decipher german without too much of a problem (yeah, right). i realize
> that there's info on the web, but something tangible would be nice to
> have. i'll be willing to pay shipping, of course. if you can help,
> please e-mail me privately. thanx.
>
> --
>  /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
> < o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com
>   \ /
>    °

Eric

80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
97 Golf Trek (Parts car)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox