Re: Coolant Loss

> admittedly, that possibility has been at the back of my mind (just refused
> think about it) - however there has been no power loss at all in fact the
car is
> running like a dream, no white smoke on start up and on my last check
yesterday,

    the head gasket on my 16V gave out on me at the end of last summer, and
i kept driving it for about a week or so afterwards.  during that time, i
was still able to beat on it, and i didn't notice too much of a change in
the car's performance, so that might not be a good way to check.

    although the smoke on startup was pretty hard to miss....

> the remaining coolant is pretty clear......I'm completely baffled - I
suppose
> there might be a small leak somewhere which I have not spotted where the
coolant
> evaporates almost immediately on leaking.........sigh.  maybe I will just
have
> to pyhsically open it up to check the head gasket and head.............

    have you popped out your sparkplugs?  i would think that by taking them
out and comparing the tips, you might be able to get a better idea of
whether or not the head gasket is pooched.  if a plus is slightly fouled,
that would indicate to me that there's no leakage into that cylinder.
however, if the plug is spotless, that would lead me to think that there is
a leak into that cylinder.

    if i'm not misaken, the coolant would cleanse all of the carbon deposits
by steam cleaning the combustion chambers.  this make sense to anybody?

jason
the mad bastard