Re: Engine Stand Alternatives?

In a message dated 1/9/01 12:57:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ross@sanoh.com.mx writes:

Since I'm going to start putting together my 2 liter, I'm wondering if
anyone has any advice on putting it together without an engine stand.

Yeah, I know this is kind of a stupid question since I could get an engine
stand for about $40, but the problem is where to put it when I'm done with
it. My garage is busting out at the seams as it is--especially since The
Warden seems to think that the washer and dryer belong out there.

hehe....well, were you aware that most engine stands come in boxes which
means they require assembly? I got one from Harbor Freight (yeah, I
know...but you just gotta watch what you buy) for $35 which comes in many
peices. You  could easily disassemble it when you're done and hide it away
somewhere.

So I figure that someone out there must have used something smaller to mount
the engine on while putting it back together. I should have my MIG welder
running soon (220 hopefully gets hooked up tonight!), so I'm thinking that I
could fabricate a little bench engine stand that I could bolt on to my work
bench.

I'm planning to rebuild the 1.7 liter motor I have, and then put my old
2-liter pistons in the JH that's in the 'roc now. So, I can definitely use
an engine stand.

Anyone made there own before? Or used something else?

I think it sounds like more trouble than it's worth... if anything were to go
wrong with your "custom" stand, the engine could end up on the floor and
damaged, not to mention your foot might be a little wider...not worth it in
my book.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - uh.....
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)