From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Randy Block
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 2:08 PM
To: 'Brian Honnold'; 'r.evans@mail.parklanecoll.ac.uk'
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: It just stops!

Ok, here's another thought,
Something similar happened to me about 4 yrs ago with my old Cosmos 81S.
I would be driving along and it would just stop running (like it ran out of
gas). I'd get to the side of the rd/highway, try to start it and it would
fire right up. I'd pull back onto the freeway and she'd run like a top.
Sometimes this would happen 3-4 times in one day and sometimes it wouldn't
happen for a month. I finally took it to a local VW tuner (wont name name's)
and they charged me over $300 to NOT fix the problem (they did re-wire my
frequency valve, as if it needed it).
I thought it was fixed, but a week later it did it to me again. I took it
down to my uncle (a dodge mechanic) and within 5 min. he diagnosed the
problem.

Here it is:
My gas tank had some dirt/rust/debris that got pulled from the tank and
punched it's way through the fuel filter, cloging up the fuel
distributor/injectors.

The solution:
Replaced the ENTIRE fuel system and accumulator, etc.. with one from a Jetta
(with a 30 day guarantee), and a new fuel pump and 4 new injectors.
Pulled the fuel tank (a bitch) and had it chemically cleaned/coated.
Flushed the chassis fuel lines with Kerosene.
Never had a problem with the car again.

An easy way to check if this is a problem is to take off the old fuel
filter, or find it if you haven't thrown it away yet and tap the exit end of
the filer on a white towel and see if any debris comes out. If you get
debris than your system has been compromised if not, it may have just been a
clogged filter.

I truly hope this is not the cause of your problems, it was expensive and
very time consuming to correct.

I've been told that it only takes one tank of dirty (fuel truck is filling
up station tanks while you are filling up your car) gas to clog a brand new
filter.

HTH

Randy B
81 (Mars) Scirocco S - Techtonics Tuning 1847cc 8V
81 (Cosmos) Scirocco S - future Oettinger 16V project
87 Jetta GLI 16V - daily driver