Re: [8v] Exhaust upgrade dilemma

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:46:57 -0600 "Michael Carlson" <m-carlson@home.com>
writes:
> > > The Scirocco in question is an '84 Wolfsburg Edition, built 7/84
> (a"late" '84) with stock JH engine etc.
>> Small spare with the larger tank and transfer pump, right?
>
> Right on!  (Well, I haven't looke for the transfer pump, but I'm
> pretty sure my 'rocco is late enough to have one...)
>
> > It is $132 plus shipping,,,
>
> Cool.  That sounds like a good plan to me, then.  :)
>
> > > Should I go ahead and put in a 4-into-2 manifold now, or is the
> swap too much of a PITA to bother with twice?
> > This I would definitely do now.
> > It makes a a noticible difference, especially with a long TT
> downpipe.
> > It's only a $100 for the TT downpipe...
>
> Excellent.  I have a follow-up question:  At what point does the
> exhaust system change to 2"?  At the outlet of the exhaust manifold?
> On either end of the downpipe?
At the outlet of the TT downpipe...

>At the outlet of the cat?
I don't think the stock cat is quite 2", but I'd have to measure it.

> Also, does the downpipe allow for mounting the O2 sensor, or will I
> have to make other provisions?  (Please pardon my ignorance on the
> subject...)
The one for $100 does not come with the O2 fitting, but if you used an
'81 manifold w/O2, then you wouldn't need it.

The TT downpipe w/O2 is normally $125, it would be $110 under the group
buy.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"