Mk 1 stalling solved!!!!

If anyone remembers, a coupla weeks ago I posted these:

Here's the deal...
I was bringing the '81 home last night, got her all warmed up and was on

a back road for appx. 15 minutes.  Stopped at a stop light, turned
green, started accelerating, and she stalls.  Pulled over, she started,
but barely.  She kinda stumbled to the next stop light, and again, it
stalled.  Pulled over, got her started back up, and one more stop light
to go (the busiest intersection of them all).  Again, stalled at about
3000.  Got pushed to a gas station, and got towed home (second time in 2

weeks).
Here's the deal (while playing with it in the parking lot waiting for
the flat-bed):
It'll start, but at 3000 rpm, it just shuts down.  When it starts back
up, it idles REALLY low (200-250), but eventually idles up.  Even so, if

I let it idle or hold revs at about 1500, eventually it will just stall
again.  What's the deal?  I'm tentatively thinking fuel filter, but I
dunno.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nate
'81
'84

Okay, here's the deal.  Last night I replaced the fuel filter
(everything checked out, no grungies in there or anything), replaced the
air filter (with a K&N, of course....the old filter had a big stain on
it and smelled like gas....), and replaced the plugs (old ones were very
carbonated, although not too bubbly).  It still did it.  When it was
cold, it'd be okay, but when warm it would kill at 3000.  Which brought
me to my next conclusion.  While playing with my mixture control unit on
the '84 this summer, I'd let it idle and pull up the plate, and it did
the same thing, dead.  So, I checked the MCU on the '81.  It was all
grungy (speckles and what looked like oil all over it), so I wiped it
clean and put the boot back on, but it still did it.  I took off the
boot again, and again, it was all oily inside.  The inside of the boot
wa all oily as well.  I checked the throttle plates and everything
looked clean.  The boot did have some cracks on it where the tube to the
intake hooks up, could this be the problem?  And why would there be oil
coming from the mixture control unit?  Shouldn't that just be air? By
the way, the K&N was brand new, no extra oil or anything like that.
Help?

Okay, well, I spent a buncha time trying to track down the problem, and it turned out to be the high tension wire from the coil to the distributor cap!  A PO had installed a later-model cap and rotor and wire set on an earlier-model coil, and for some reason the coil connections were REALLY grungy and corroded.  So, I pulled all the good ignition parts off my '84, coil to cap, and it started!!  I think I need to check timing, though, because it starts kinda hard when warm.  But, I have it running and I'm mostly all happy.

More soon, it's time for bed.
Night!!

Nate
'81