Re: [Tech] I be smellin' dat good ol' gear oil....

RoccoPhil wrote:

> Yup.  As I sit in my 87 rocco 8v, I can smell the gear oil as I drive this
> thing.  Obviously it's nasty.  Could only be beat by a bad cat reaking up
> the interior (or one of those day-after-big-party beer farts, I guess).
>
> Anyhoo..  I looked at the tranny case (9A, btw) and can find no signs of
> SMS.  Of course, the 166k drive flange seals are leaking pretty badly.  My
> guess is it's those.  Anyone else want to hazard a guess here?
>
> -PK

When this happened (flange seal leak) it took out the inner CV joint
because it washed the lube out.

BNe prepared to at least recondition the sucker(s) by 1st cleaning out
ALL the old grease and repacking it with some good stuff- i like the
synthetic made by Redline (Yes Redline makes synth bearing grease).

hth,
TBerk