Re: [tech] Transfer Pump

>Car: 84 Scirocco
>
>I'm not sure if this car has a transfer pump or not.  How do I tell?  I took
>out the rear seat and removed the black plate.  now, how do I remove the
>fuel gauge sender and,if there, transfer pump? In the Bentley, it looks as
>though there is a large lock ring.  Mine, don't have it.  DOes that mean
>that there's no transfer pump?
>
>To my understanding, the early 84's had no transfer pump while the later
>ones did.  How do I determine this?
>
>TIA
>
>Sal

That round plate with the slots / teeth sticking up actually spins.  Try
tapping it around counter-clockwise with a punch and hammer.  Set the
punch into one of the slots and tap away, it should spin to a certain
point (45 degrees off?) and then just lift out.  This is probably the
lock ring as referred to in the Bentley.  If you have a xfer pump,
it'll be hanging off the pickup tube...you can't miss it.  84 was an
odd year if I remember correctly, and some had it, and some didn't.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net