Re: Audi 3A

I put an AAD (1990/91 A80), which is to all intents and purposes the same as
the 3A in my '85 8V. As far as I can remember, the only change was to the
intermediate shaft so it would run with the original CIS distributor - apart
from that it was pretty much a straight swap: everything else was left as is
- audi head/intake/pumps/oil pan/etc. Had to do some creative plumbing for
the vaccuum and breather setup.  I used the original scirocco CIS
injectors/fuel system - if you want to mount a warm-up regulator properly,
you'll need a cover for the breather on the front of the block. I just left
the regulator loose and kept the audi breather setup. I haven't used a knock
sensor and don't have an O2 sensor/cat. I did have problems with pinking
when sitting in traffic but I've just changed to different plugs - I was
using the standard Bosch W7DTCs but I've changed to NGK BUR6ETs - and it
seems to have cleared the problem.
LMK if you want any more details

Ewan Hopkins
'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8 (also audi powered - getting to be a habit...)