From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Ron Pieper
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 2:19 PM
To: Scirocco.org list
Subject: Shine anti-sway bar, anyone? because...

...because Cheapass Ron has had another idea.

What I'm after is the following data re: the Shine
rear anti-sway bar:

-OD
-ID (if tubular)
-Overall length
-distance between outermost mounting points
-distance between innermost mounting points
-it's weight

The idea:
Cobble up a cheap version using (hopefully stainless)
square tubular stock.  OK, for a given c/s area,
square is not as strong as circular in torsion, but it
would require only drilling (no welding) and
off-the-shelf grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers to
attach.

I'll try to determine a square tube (or poss. other
shape) that is as stiff, and see what it costs to get
one from the local steel supplier.  Should be cheap.
If it works out, I'll provide all the info so you can
be a cheapass too!

TIA,

=====
Ron
'87 16V (Victor, the Famous Cheap Scirocco)
'93 Cab (soon for sale)
many, many, miles and busted knuckles on about seven or so past
watercooleds...