RE: possible U.S. spec H/L and grille mod...

Mike is right, you can run just the outside HI/LOW lights and when you pull
back on the stalk the outside lights go from LOW to HI. I have KC
daylighters in my inside locations and they are operated by a separate
switch.
I see no reason why having only two lights would be illegal due to the fact
that you have HI/LOW in the outside lenses.
May not be legal, dunno, but sure seems logical :-)
HTH

Randy B
Mars 81S - techtonics tuning 1847cc 8V
Cosmos 81S - future project - dreaming of 200-220hp.
87 Jetta GLI 16V - daily driver