RE: no spark on my 84?

When the ignition is on, do you have 12V at the hall sender connection?  If
not, find out why.  If so, it's probably a bad hall sender, or a bad
connection at the hall sender (that was the problem with the '84 I had - the
terminals in the connector were all corroded).  Bentley is an excellent
reference for this problem, and even Haynes has a pretty decent no-spark
troubleshooting section.

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle