Re: power steering fluid

>In a message dated 2/27/2001 10:32:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>mixedup@sympatico.ca writes:
>
><<  i've had 2 different vw dealers tell me 2 different things (i.e.
>automatic trans fluid  >>
>
>Hmm interesting you say this because just the other day i was looking around
>in the engine bay and notice that the power steering reservoir says ATF on
>the side of it and I thought this was weird.  I was going to post this to the
>list but i guess it really does use ATF fluid. L8r
>
>Brian 86 16v

Actually it doesn't.  It uses a rather expensive white mineral oil available
from a dealer of dealer-like place.  Has the number G-002 on it, and is
stamped VW/Audi all over it.  When I did my engine swap, I disconnected the
lines to get them out of the way, which drained quite a bit of the system.  I
read up a bit on what would be the best to put back in, and this stuff came
highly recommended. Almost like that's what Hans poured into the container
when the car was assembled Deutchland.  The ATF on the side of the container
is just VW parts reuse at work is my best guess.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net