"Back-up lights vs. front motor mount" problem

When I first got my 86 16V the front motor mount was shot. My back up lights
were also always on when I turned the ignition key.
It turns out there is something quite delicate about the light-switch on the
tranny, because when I replaced the front motor mount the back up lights
would now be off, but they would not turn on when I put the car in reverse.

So, clearly there is some alignment problem there that has to do with the
switch on the tranny, however that thing is extremely tough to get to and
replace (I tried taking the plug in and out again, cleaning it, shaking it,
etc., but nothing helped).

Any suggestions on what to do about that? (I have had a couple of instances
already where I was unsafe because I was backing up but my back-up lights
were not on).

Thanks,

Elias