Re: 4K vs 2H

In a message dated 2/26/01 8:15:13 PM Pacific Standard Time, brett@netacc.net
writes:

<< The real fact
 of the matter is that I used Jims 16v conversion as a test bed
 for this and it's been working fine for like 8,000 miles or something
 like that. :-)  >>

I was aware of this when I posted to the Vortex thread. Of the two choices
for a "hybrid" axle- this one does make the most sense. The inner joints do
stay on there pretty well- I usually have to use a press to seat them...
Someone REALLY concerned about this could use some locktite spline locking
compound (they recommend it for Audi)...

Using 90mm OUTERS on the 100mm splines IS "Russian Roulette" ... as the joint
will easily slide back and forth on the splines, which is bad.

Unless you are really cheap, I feel the right way to do it is to go ahead
with a full 100mm conversion. I also believe that the hybrid axle is not
going to be any stronger than just swapping flanges and staying with 90mm to
begin with.

And you won't have to worry about someday being the focal point of a "damned
prior owner!" story if you stay with the standard items...

Shutting the hell up,
Danny
81 Caddy 100mm CVs (all of them)