Re: '81 update (clutch and fuel stuff)

>  there was some
> REALLY strange whining/moaning sound from under the car, nowhere near
> the AFS or fuel pump

Bentley states that Bosch CIS injectors whine when expelling fuel (normal
operation).  Maybe that was it.  Sometimes it's hard to locate sounds due to
soundwave deflections.

> While examining the top of my tranny (FF), I noticed a
> large knob-like thing behind the reverse-light switch, it's about 2"
> high, with a hex-shaped top.  I can pull it up and turn it, but I left
> it where it was.  Anyone know what this thing is?

Should be the timing hole plug.

> One more thing:  My driver's side door sags, and makes it hard to close
> w/o slamming it.  Anyone know how I can adjust the hinges myself to make
> it close better?

Try the following website:
http://members.aol.com/kimhoff/Techtips/Tips.html#doors

HTH, amigo....