RE: Scirocco.org a club? [long]

Good points, Neal, but let me play Counterpoint to your Point.

Neal, you ignorant slut (showing my age with that reference).  I'm a member
of the Binder Bulletin (International Light Duty Trucks) and was once the
Treasurer of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Southern Cal.  The Binder club is
based around a BBS type website (www.binderbulletin.org) and AROCSC was a
traditional club, pre-WWW, with monthly meetings.  While lessons from both
could be valuable here, the Binder Bulletin is most like our current
situation.  International hasn't put out a Light Duty Truck in over 20
years.  For that matter, the Scouts and Scout 2s didn't have the same kind
of commercial sales success as the Broncos or  Blazers (despite being a
better truck).  Regardless, the club remains strong and active without
having these new car owners as a potential influx.  This is because the
remaining people who own an International are nuts about these vehicles.
People traversing the country for national events, people with barnloads of
vehicles in various states of disrepair, people customizing their vehicle
for racing, 4x4ing, etc., and people (like me), who use them for their
intended use because we feel no other vehicle does that job better.  Doesn't
that sound familiar?  We're not as large as your I-group, but we have a
quarterly newsletter, pay dues, get discounts, and meet at regional and
national IH gatherings.  I believe it is a full time job for the guy running
the website too.  My point:  new car sales help, but aren't a necessity.
For that matter, I'd argue that many of the new Impreza drivers are caught
up in the next big thing and you'll see an increase in membership followed
by a downturn when the Subie falls out of trend.  (For the record, I think
the WRX is a great car.  I've been trying to talk the SO into a WRX instead
of a GTI, so I'm not picking on your group).

As for Manufacturer/Dealer/Industry support, I think the key word here is
Industry.  Again, IH hasn't sold light trucks in 20 years and Alfa left
these shores in the early 90s (still upset about not getting the 156 or the
GTV).  Needless to say, we don't get much manufacturer or dealer support.
However, we get industry support from the aftermarket parts suppliers, the
NOS suppliers, mechanics, etc.  These are the people that advertise in the
newsletters and on the websites and give discounts to members.  Why
shouldn't they?  It's a concentrated target market for them.  Meanwhile,
members support those companies because they want to keep them afloat for
the inevitable model specific parts order.  Now I'm sure Mark and Mike are
not hurting for business with all of the VWs on the road, but just as this
list supports them, I would bet they'd want to support a group that helps
them.  It's kind of a sinking-ship, we're-all-in-this-together relationship.

Neal, you make some good points.  Both would help to make getting a club off
the ground much easier.  My long-winded point is that a club doesn't have to
be as grand as what you're used to.  As someone said, if there is someone
(or someones) dedicated enough to the concept and they keep a realistic
expectation, it could work.  That being said, I'm not sure we're far from a
club now.  Other than a newsletter, we have get togethers (regional and
national), we get discounts from Mike (can't speak for Mark, I'm a West
Coaster), and the only dues we pay are having to wade through 100+
emails/day, sit through an occasional flame war and see similar questions
pop up regularly.  Instead of a newsletter, perhaps we could work on a good
list of FAQs (starting with our current one of course) that can be emailed
to everyone as they join the list and also posted once a month (kind of like
a monthly newsletter).  I'd even be willing to help compile this list of
tire/wheel sizes, tune-up specs, sway bar options, oil in the air filter
solutions, etc.

My last point, regarding dues, would be they have some merit.  We could set
up some cheap dues (so as not to make Ron leave) and promise a T-shirt or
specially molded, Scirocco cup that fits behind the e-brake.  This will keep
out the timid or flame-war-starters (what was that dude's name), pay for the
website hosting fees, and get us some club merchandise.  Hell, many on this
list have said they're willing to pay $15-$25 for a hat or t-shirt.  It
would be like buying a hat or t-shirt and getting the membership for free.
If Adirondak and Virtual parts give a small discount to members, the
membership pays for itself the first time you buy motor mounts or a sway
bar.  The downside, we'd have to get a President, Treasurer, etc. and
incorporate.

Anyway, my long .02.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v