Its cool sometimes..... AND Motor mount how too's FAQ material? FWIW, I cant sleep.

Ya know when you decide to do a project, you decide to do it right the
first time, spend a little more and be done with it. I tend to do this
more than not. Call it imprinted years of scheduled maintenance on
helicopters/Jet fighters/fixed wing aircraft ect.

So, on my 84 Scirocco which I got for free last year, I decided it was
time for a few more repairs and upgrades before I do the motor build.
(1.8L 16v block with 10-1 pistons and a solid lifter 8V head. 140hp for
the wife, easy.) Motor mounts are a funny thing. I decided to go with the
stock tranny and passenger mount and use the TT front mount with the VW
motorsports rear mount. Naturally I ordered everything from Potterman. I
also made myself a little spacer for the front mount using the latest in
my shops technology. (cutting torch, chop saw, grinder, drill press, sand
blaster, paint. yee-haw!)

I pressed in the new mounts while at work. I don't know if any of you
have done this yourself. I used a second set of mount brackets which
makes the final swap simple for those who want to have a driver while
having the mounts pressed ect. The easiest way is to remove what's left
of the rubber center rubber mount and then with a hacksaw, cut the rest
of the mount. Both mounts fell out after I cut thru the mount material.
Then I used the old mount and a press guide while pressing in the new
mounts. its really simple stuff. I rate it "1 screwdriver" on a scale of
1 the easiest, 10 the hardest. of course, if you don't have a press or a
hacksaw, its a 10.

Replacing motor mounts is a simple task as well. Especially when your
replacing all 4. in the time it took me to replace the front, side trans
and rear trans mounts, it took me longer to replace the passenger side
mount. it fun. Be sure to jack up the front or its really hard. LOL! Then
get to work.

The rear trans mount comes off with the 2 x 17mm nuts and loosen what
should be a 19mm nut holding the bottom of the mount to the bracket. On
mine its a 17mm nut as well. Hmm. Well, be sure to loosen it. Makes
changing the mount easier. Then you remove the 2 13mm nuts on the top of
the mount. Falls right off. Swap the new mount into the bracket and set
it aside.

Then you remove the 2 x 17mm bolts from the front mount bracket. You
should be able to use a pry bar and press the rubber mount foreward which
will allow you to wrestle the bracket off. Then wrestle the rubber mount
off the nubby.

For the side tranny mount, take a floor jack and put it under the bell
housing. Take some of the slack off the weight of the motor/trans. (1
pump or so.) This will make getting the side trans mounting bolt out
easier. Then you can lower the tranny down and get to the remaining 2
17mm bolts/nut combo. don't forget to remove the 13mm bolt that holds the
ground strap on. Reinstall the side tranny mount onto the tranny.

Now is a good time to install the new front mount and housing. When you
jack up the motor/tranny put the bolt into the side trans mount, tight it
up by hand. Then reinstall the bolts to the front mount. Follow up with
the rear mount. Then repeat the process to finish tightening up the
brackets and mounts. it doesn't take very long.

The bitch is the passenger motor mount. There's lots than can make it
difficult. I had it rather easy because on this car which I got for free,
had no timming belt covers. So for me it was a simple as taking the slack
off the motor and removing the 17mm bolt. Then I lifted up the motor as
high as i could get it and removed the 2 x 13mm bolts (foreward side of
the mount) and the top 6mm hex head bolt in the rear. Then I let the
motor down as low as I could get it and removed the bottom 6mm hex head
bolt. Got the mount out and reinstalled the new mount.

The motor mount has a "Z" shape to it that allows it to sit on top of the
bracket. My car still does have the timming belt shield but no belt
cover. The shield sits on top of the foreward part of the motor mount.
Anyhoo, this is where I met delays in reinstalling the bracket. I
couldn't get it under the shield and over the other bracket. Finally I
decided to bevel the foreward edge of the bracket and damned if it didn't
work. Then it was a matter of reinstalling the 4 mount bolts and then
reinstalling the 17mm bolt. It took em a little longer than I had
expected.

Be sure to drive the car and see if the tranny shifts like it did. In my
case, I got lucky or im good, whatever the reason, I didn't have to make
any further adjustments. if you do, loosen the bolts for the driver and
passenger mounts and the front and rear mounts a little. Drive the car up
and down the street a brief time. Use foward and reverse gears and be
gentle. Should'nt take long. Then retighten the bolts.

So, when I get all the mounts our for a little "lets see how bad they
really were" inspection, The passenger mount had all 4 rubber mounting
points torn away but still connected. The front mount was soft and thing
in spots. The rear mount still had a VW parts label on it and quite
readable so I suspect it had been replaced recently. (within the last 3
years?) it was in good shape. The driver side trans mount was completely
destroyed! The rubber center portion fell out and I removed it. THAT
explained the Beverly Hillbillies idle it had. It truly is amazing how
new mounts can make an old car seem like new again! Its tight just like a
new car. (Im leaving that alone so don't, you too.) Before it was
commonplace that you couldn't see out the rear view mirror while sitting
at a light. Now when you cant see out the mirror its because the wife is
kickin' in the bass, YO. Knowwhatimsayin?

I also replaced the crappy manifold with my dual outlet manifold and
Eurosport downpipe, larger TB with polished and ported intake manifold
and also replaced the windshield washer pump.

My next project for the car has got to be the clutch. Im making so much
power now that the clutch is slipping! That's OK tho, I wanted to install
the lightened flywheel anyways!

Welp, seemed that ive bored myself enough to go to sleep. nite!

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette "SS"
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!