Scirocco Fantasy - let's go back in time..

I have 3 roccos, all of them second-hand or even 3rd.  No problem there.
But I never got to do the following.  Just imagine doing this, if you will,
for those of you who never have.....

**************************

It's a crisp late-autumn day.  Sunny but a definite chill in the air.  The
new models have just come out and you drive up to the local Volkswagon
dealership in your GTi, which you love and has been a blast, but...  You've
got about $5k in the bank and you're all set for all the other crap at this
point in your young life.  So you've decided to invest in a Scirocco 16v.
You've already testdriven it a few times.  You've done the paperwork and
it's a done deal.  Soooo......

There it is - a sleek silver Scirocco sitting at the end of one aisle of
'other' VWs.  Next to it sits a Black 8v Scirocco and a Tornado Red 8v
Scirocco on the other side.  But the silver one is a 16v, and you've heard
about those, and now you know....

You open the door and climb in.  It's quiet inside, punctuated by the new
car smell.  The dash gleems jet-black with a nice little 16v on the glove
compartment lid.  Seats are perfect, clean, supportive, new.  "Thanks,
Recaro", you say to yourself.  Steering wheel is clean, supple leather
without any marks. The carpet and headliner are new, clean, unblemished.  As
you look up, the silver hood sparkles in the afternoon sun.  You're glad
you're off work today.  No better thing to do right now.

The key slides into the ignition.  You tighten your grip on the wheel for a
second.  Right hand on the gearshift - yes, neutral.  Hold your breath.....
light turn of the key..... *gr-RUUUUMMMM!!*  the engine jumps and lights
up - the car comes alive.  Oh yeah... Good ol' Ferdinand.  Clutch smoothly
disengages, 1st gear finds itself perfectly, clutch engages and you squeeze
that accelerator.....  graceful, smooth glide as the Scirocco heads out of
the space, picking up the pace, down the lane, and out towards the
highway..................

No traffic.  Perfect sky, bright sun, cool shades.  Crack the window for the
autumn air, turn on the VW stereo for sweet tunes...... engage first again,
out into the lane the Scirocco glides effortlessly.......... it's so sweet
today, you think, as the engine climbs higher, so nice you think you will
just....

NAIL IT!!!!!!!!!

Bam!, second gear grabs ahold of the engine and the torque starts winding
up - you listen to the engine work, flawless, new, no carbon, new bearings,
yeah.... second gear torque soon peaks and you hold it for a millisecond
listening, feeling the power, yes world, this is MY new Scirocco - she's
mine........ you throw that third gear shift, knowing what comes next, and
you ride third to insanity as the engine starts it's relationship with you,
bitching at you as it works harder and harder, four pistons pounding
away.........zip, zip, things are starting to blur in your peripherial
vision now.......then you find fourth easily as the gearshift drops into it,
like it was made for fourth, the Scirocco skating away down the highway now,
feeling like it's trying to break gravity's stranglehold....... RPMs racing
in fourth now.............. yeah,,,,,,,,,,oh yeah,,,,,,,,, "we're gonna be
together for a long time, babe", you think, as you let her relax into
fifth...............

and now.....

Aren't you glad you bought a Scirocco?!!

HELL YEAH!

(and don't give me any crap about how you shouldn't treat a new car that
way - it's a FANTASY, baby!  Someone throw me a towel!)

-Phil Kerschner
'85 Scirocco (the Loyal One)
'87 Scirocco (sickee)
'87 Scirocco 16V (BIG ol' project)