Re: Transfer Pump Diagnosis

If the car is dying when it is low on fuel and around corners or up hills
then it is the prepump. The pickup screen is attached to the bottom of the
pump.

Also check the boot over the airflow sensor plate for a big screen that will
most likely be full of shit.

One last thing to check is the banjo fitting for the inlet from the tank on
the side of the fuel distributor. If it has a raised circle on it then
remove it and check for a teeny weeny screen. This screen was supposed to be
removed at the first 1k service when the car was new. However, the nuero
surgeons that work at the stealership may have over looked this detail.

The last 2 suggestions are most likely NOT your problem but check it out
anyway as it will improve driveability and power.

GL!

Car is an 86 GTI, but I think the fuel system is the same as later
Sciroccos so lets just pretend, shall we?  Besides lots of this car are
going into the Roc eventually so....

I am getting hesitation when running but don't yet have a Bentley to
cover this knock sensor based engine management system. Other than
tourquing it to the right spec is there any way to determine if I am
getting the e timing backed down? Or that there isn't enough fuel.
Hmmmm.

I know there is trouble when I have one o r two gallons in the tank and
take a hard turn it cuts out temporally, and if stuck in a fast food
line the pump makes noise and cuts off the car.

What's the symptom difference between a failing pump in the tank vs the
pickup tube trouble?

Recently: Changed oil, plugs, air filter. Did reroute and tie down loose
wires in the Eng. bay so...

It's too far all over the map to pin down yet. (I'm very coherent today,
right?)

TBerk

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867